For most people it is hard to eat healthy and exercise while keeping up their daily life. Sooner or later one gets sacrificed and shortly after the other will be dropped as well. The top excuses are “I don’t have time to cook/ go to the gym”, “healthy food doesn’t taste good” and “exercising is no fun”.
If you are already a customer of The Healthiest Choice, you know that a healthy and balanced diet can be very delicious and you can save the time to cook. But what about the exercise and why is it so important to combine the two?
First, if you want to get fit and achieve fitness goals you have set yourself, it is important to adjust your diet accordingly. The popular saying “You can’t out-train a poor diet” is true to certain extents. Exercising and eating balanced, nutritious food is not only for those who want a visible change, it also provides the basis for cardiovascular fitness. You can regard combined diet and fitness as the primary disease prevention and management tool.
It is a simple formula that has been around for decades: healthy diet plus regular exercise equals a healthier you. When you exercise and eat right, your body functions well because it receives the nutrients it needs to thrive, along with physical activity to improve strength, endurance, body composition, and cardiovascular health. Here are some benefits of combining exercise and diet:
- A healthier heart. Lots of factors affect your risk for heart disease, but exercise and diet are among the biggest. Even individuals who already suffer from heart disease can reduce their risk through a good diet and exercise. You can also reduce the risk of many other chronic diseases, including hypertension, diabetes, and certain cancers.
- Better cholesterol. There are two main kinds of cholesterol in the body, one that is actually good for you (HDL High Density Lipoprotein) and one that can cause dangerous buildup in your blood veins (LDL Low Density Lipoprotein).
- Diet and exercise can help keep you looking and feeling youthful, both directly and indirectly. A healthy diet will include lots of natural antioxidants which fight the aging process, whole gentle exercise can help your body resist the soreness and stiffness of aging.
- A stronger immune system. Your body is better able to handle germs and stay healthy when you eat well and exercise often.
- Better mood. Did you know that exercise directly affects your mood? Exercise releases endorphins, which give a sense of happiness.
- Better sexual function. Exercise plays an important role in releasing hormones that increase the sex drive. Both men and women tend to have a higher libido and better sexual function when they work out regularly.
Basics of Fitness
Achieving fitness means to include all five components of physical fitness: muscular strength and endurance, cardiovascular endurance, healthy body composition, and flexibility. An effective fitness plan balances all of these, and should include:
- Some aerobic activity in your target heart rate zone: 30 min/ day, most days of the week
- Strength training exercises that work all major muscle groups: 3 times/ week
- Stretching for more flexibility and to decrease the risk of injuries: every day
You can be thin and unfit and you can be strong with a great cardiovascular fitness and live on an unhealthy diet. The combination of the two is the key to fitness, more energy and disease prevention.
If you want to know more about our food check out our article “The Truth Behind the Meals of The Healthiest Choice”. We can supply you with delicious and nutrient rich food, but you have to do the rest. Ready to start a healthier lifestyle?